PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
The windstream email accounts
are no longer fully functional.
for proper email addresses.
TOWN OF SPAFFORD
1984 Route 174
Skaneateles, NY 13152
Town of Spafford's Official newspaper.
AND,,, sign up to receive Town-related
information and the newsletters electronically!
A test message will be sent to confirm the address provided.
Use of the email list will be for official Town business,
which will be determined by the Town Clerk.
ESTIMATING TAX BILLS? - - We receive many requests for estimates of future tax bills. The County and Town budgets that determine the tax rates for the January tax bill are not adopted until November. School budgets (for the September tax bill) are adopted in May.
Another unknown factor is your property tax exemptions; many must be renewed each year. If you fail to renew, or your qualifications change, (perhaps due to an income change), it will affect the amount due.
We strongly recommend you use prior years' tax bills as an approximate minimum.
SENIOR CITIZEN SERVICES &
PROGRAMS FOR TOWN OF SPAFFORD RESIDENTS
DISPOSAL OF CFL BULBS -
They contain small amounts of mercury, a potent heavy metal pollutant. All of the ACE and True Value Hardware stores in Onondaga County partner with OCRRA and accept fluorescent bulbs from residents. Lowe's and Home Depot also accept CFLs
Can you have that bonfire?
Should you burn your old leaves?
What about a campfire?
Review the regulations on
In towns with a total population less than 20,000, (Spafford population is 1,686) you may burn tree limbs with attached leaves. The limbs must be less than 6 inches in diameter and 8 feet in length (also referred to as brush). However, this is not allowed from March 16 through May 14 due to the increased risk of wildfires.
Used petroleum products and Electronic Waste
are not accepted at the Spafford Transfer Station.
"Our Two Hundred Year Journey"
A volume of images and history of the Town of Spafford. Limited supply available --- $20 each. Shipping available at Priority Mail rates.
TOWN HALL OFFICE HOURS
Please Note: The Town of Spafford offices are part-time.
Town Clerk - Tuesdays & Wednesdays 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Thursdays & Saturdays 9 a.m. - 12 Noon
Code Enforcement Officer - Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Saturdays 9 -11:30 a.m.
Assessor - Tuesdays & Thursdays 9 a.m. - 12 Noon
Appointments are appreciated
Not all Town Officers have set office hours.
Town Board --- 2nd Thurdsays at 7 p.m.
Zoning Board of Appeals--- 2nd Tuesdays at 7 p.m.
Planning Board --- 3rd Thursdays at 7 p.m.
Town Court --- 1st & 3rd Mondays @ 6 p.m.
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
The Town of Spafford is seeking quotes for the removal and disposal of Freon/coolant from appliances collected at the Spafford Transfer Station.
Quotes should be submitted no later than October 13, 2016 and addressed to Spafford Highway Superintendent, 1984 State Route 174, Skaneateles, NY 13152.
Thursday, September 29, 2016 at 6 p.m.
TOWN OF SPAFFORD
2017 Budget Work Meetings
Please be advised that the Town Board of the Town of Spafford has scheduled Budget work meetings for the following 2016 dates: Thursday, September 22; Thursday, September 29; and Thursday, October 13.
Each meeting is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. and will be held at the Spafford Town Hall, 1984 State Route 174. The purpose of these meetings is for preliminary discussion of the 2017 budget, and any and all other business before the Board.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
TOWN OF SPAFFORD
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN
that there has been presented to the Town Board of the Town of Spafford, New York, on September 8, 2016, proposed Local Law D
of the Year 2016 entitled, A Local Law Amending Local Law No. 2 of the Year 1990 to repeal the existing language and replace it with the following language relating to Flood Damage Prevention in the Town of Spafford as authorized by the New York State Constitution, Article IX, Section 2, and Environmental Conservation Law, Article 36.
Said Local Law, if enacted, will adopt the latest flood insurance rate maps for the Town of Spafford as published by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), making appropriate properties eligible for the National Flood Insurance Program, and will revise the regulations related to lands thereby affected. The full text of said Local Law is available at the Town Clerk Office at the Town Offices located at 1984 State Route 174, Skaneateles, New York in the Town of Spafford for inspection by all interested persons.
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN that on September 8, 2016, the Town Board determined that this proposed Local Law is an Unlisted action, pursuant to the State Environmental Quality Review Act.
NOTICE IS FURTHER GIVEN that the Town Board will hold a public hearing on the proposed Local Law at the Town of Spafford Offices located at 1984 State Route 174, Skaneateles, New York in the Town of Spafford on September 22, 2016, at 7:00 p.m., or as soon thereafter as the matter can be heard, at which time all persons interested will be heard.
Lisa M. Valletta, Town Clerk
Town of Spafford
September 22, 2016 Town Board Meeting Quick Notes
- The General Fund portion of the tentative budget was reviewed. The Highway Fund will be reviewed on Thursday, September 29, 2016.
- Payment to OCWA for SOAWD hydrant charges was approved.
- The Short Environmental Assessment Form for proposed local law D-2016 was completed. The Board determined the proposed law will not result in any adverse or significant impacts.
- The Public Hearing for proposed local law D-2016 garnered no comments either for or against the proposal.
- The Public Hearing for proposed local law C-2016 remains held open until the October 13, 2016 Town Board meeting.
- The Long Environmental Assessment Form for proposed local law C-2016 was completed. The Board determined the proposed law will not result in any adverse or significant impacts.
- Proposed local law D-2016 was adopted and enacted as Local Law 3-2016.
- The Board voted to accept the proposal from David W. Hannig, L.S., P.C. for survey of the Cold Brook Valley Cemetery.
September 13, 2016 Town Board Meeting Quick Notes
- The Town Board has a 2017 Budget Work Session scheduled for Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 6 p.m.
- Hwy Supt Eric Fordock is authorized to pursue a snow and ice removal contract for the 2016-2017 season with the Town of Scott in the amount of $12,500.
- Oil and stone work continues on Allen Gay Road, Craig Road, and Bucktail Road.
- The Public Hearing on proposed Local Law C-2016, To Amend the Zoning Code of the Town of Spafford for the Purpose of Regulating the Short Term Rental of Homes generated comments regarding:
- correcting the phrasing to read "carbon monoxide" alarm instead of CO2 alarm
- absentee owners versus owner owner occupied
- noise control
- the sunset clause
- clarification between long-term and short-term rental
- concerns over commercial rentals becoming a trend (the phrasing of the proposal does not allow commercial rentals)
- limit the number of short term rental permits allowed each year
- The Board agreed to hold the Public Hearing open until the October 13, 2016 Town Board meeting.
- A Public Hearing is scheduled for Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 7 p.m. for comments on proposed local law D-2016: To Amend Local Law 2-1990 to repeal the existing language and replace it with the following language relating to Flood Damage Prevention in the Town of Spafford as authorized by the New York State Constitution, Article IX, Section 2, and Envrionmental Conservation Law, Article 36
- CNY Solar is exploring the creation of a solar field behind the Town Hall. The Army Corps of Engineers is a part of the discussion due to the wetland area. It is still in the extremely preliminary stage.
- Joyce Ellis was appointed to a new 5-year term on the Board of Assessment Review.